Friday, September 10, 2010

A Child was born in March

I am Kpokpa”Popa” Grovogui. Born and raised in Guinea, West Africa. It’s a tropical country with a lot mountains and beautiful vegetations. The south side has a rain forest and the tallest mountain in the country. Traditional dances and music made the people happy. Our official language is French. We have more than 65 dialects and I speak five of them. My birth date is Saint Patrick’s Day. I came to the U.S in 2000 to learn English and get my University degree. I now live in Baltimore with my family. I feel better when there’s music and gym around. Restaurant and foods markets make my love stronger for foods.

I live on one philosophy. Freedom and human right is what we all deserve.

6 comments:

  1. I love your philosophy, it is something that is often taken for granted here in America. What is it like adjusting to the ways of the U.S? Is it what you expected it to be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved this. I love learning about different cultures so thanks for your insight. What specific languages can you speak? I, personally, can speak english and spanish, but I would love to learn french and italian.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My last year roommate is from Africa too and also, his official language is French! I always want to learn French because my dad says it's the most beautiful language in the world. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christina, when you are outside the U.S, you will think that the country is paradise on earth. The media never ever broadcast the bad side of the country that's the reason alot people come here. I didn't expect much as I like country life style but was not ok with the way they treat their own people. Think about wars vets, number of jails, number of non educated people, homeless, junkies....Now I see the reality of a capitalist country.
    My specific languages are French, now English, local diates:soussou, malinke, toma, guerze and poular. French is a beautiful language but hard to learn

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're outlook on the United States is interesting. I've never been to Guinea, or any part of Africa for that matter, but I can imagine the kind of culture shock one experiences coming from there. I do hope you travel around America, and experience other areas. One of the most interesting things about this country is the huge diversity in lifestyle and people from location to location.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow so you have been here for 10 years now. And I like your background image. Pretty Nice.

    ReplyDelete