Bongo Camara was the name of my first elementary school located in the south of the capital city. I was about 7 when I started my education. My first day of school was the best experience ever. First of all, it was good to get away from my anti-colon grand-parents, then I had to wear uniform, have my own book, pencils, bags and a new pair of shoes which I rarely get. We were required to shave our head before the first day of classes and go to bed early because the school starts at 7am. I didn't why I had to go to school but I was excited that morning. Upon arrival, there was a tall big pole in the middle of the school field with a red-yellow-green flag on the bottom of it. I was there very early that day after two miles walking. All students gathered around the pole. One student volunteered to pull-up the flag while others sing the National Anthem. I didn't know how to sing it but the rythm was moving me. After the flag reached the top of the pole, the director and teachers introduced themselves to us and pointed out our classes. All male students looked indentical, same uniform, same no hair-style but different pair of shoes. The system was so great that one can compare it to the army except that we didn't carry guns. In class, we sat straight, listened attentively and even had to raise our hand for bathroom. The first lecture was the abc, then few pronouns. As week goes by, I started to know how to read and write. I started being a different person as well. I didn't have to do alot house work nor to the farm from omday thru saturday.
The worst part started when I moved to the capital to continue my education. The city was noisy, alot cars, trains, people and dirty to me but the schools were better build with better location and alot amenities. I didn't like the system at all. I was not used to being beating by a teacher for being late, not doing my homework. I used to be happy going to school in the morning and suddenly all those feeling vanished because i was scared to be punished or beating. My parents couldn't do anyting about it because it was the same system nationwide. The only way to escape them was to be on time and do what you are expected to do. There wasn't a student-teacher relationship outside the school. Teachers were treated like "gods" because of their knowledge and all parents respected them dearly. I was intensively tutored at home by my uncle and that allowed me to skip few grade and went to high school very fast. I felt relieved in High school because professors don't punish students there. We call them professors in high school and teachers in lower grades. Then I realized why I was going to school but still didn't know why my grand-parents were opposed to it. I did have a better and worst moment at school and wondered who wrote the program/standard. The academic program is great but the student right is horrible.
No comments:
Post a Comment